I’m the worst because I totally forgot I needed to make a side dish for the 4th of July party– every year we go to our friends’ house in the Northland for a potluck, yard games and BBQ. This is what you come up with when you have two hours before the party, at least :45 of which needs to be a shower and makeup. Enter this mad scientist salad moment where I ran to Whole Foods and started grabbing ingredients off the shelf for a keto & paleo friendly side or main dish. (I don’t know if I’m more of a Bunsen or a Beaker, so I’ll let you decide.)
Kale Bacon Crunch Salad:
- 10 cups kale
- 2 cups chopped brussels sprouts
- 1/2 lb cooked bacon, chopped finely
- 1 cup red onion, chopped finely
- 2 cups roasted squash
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- Don’t waste time roasting the squash, get it from the salad bar at your grocery store.
- Chop your cooked bacon with your red onion. I used a Ninja chopper.
- Taste test the vinaigrette, because the red wine vinegar and dijon mustard can be too much. Add more almond milk if needed.